THE SWORD OF KAS
Wondrous Longsword (Artifact), Requires Attunement
+3 to hit and damage
The Sword of Kas is powered by a demon, name unknown, that is bound to the black metal sword. Its mission is simple — to kill Vecna, his followers, and the undead. The sword, originally employed by Kas (hence the name), has passed from Kas the Destroyer to Vagnarok Lokigrim to Sardonis Gentari. It has a strong personality and a singular focus.
- Scores a critical hit on a 19 or 20.
- Deals an extra 2d10 slashing damage to undead.
- If the Sword of Kas isn’t bathed in blood within a minute of being drawn from its scabbard, its wielder must make a DC 15 Charisma save. On a success, they suffer 3d6 psychic damage. On a failure, they are dominated by the sword (as if by dominate monster) and the sword demands that it be fed blood. The effect ends when the sword is fed.
- Absorbs blood.
- Confers proficiency in the longsword to whomever attunes to it, regardless of class.
- Speaks Common and has a telepathic bond with wielder.
- Random Properties
- Minor Beneficial Property: Wielder gains proficiency in one skill while attuned.
- Major Beneficial Property: Wielder’s Constitution score increases by 2 while attuned, to a maximum of 24.
- Minor Detrimental Property: Wielder becomes gaunt, their skin turns pale, and their eyes turn a faint red.
- Major Detrimental Property: On attuning, wielder takes (8d10?) psychic damage.
- Spirit of Kas
- While the sword is on wielder, they add a d10 to initiative at the start of every combat.
- The wielder can transfer some or all of the sword’s attack bonus to their AC when they use an action to attack. This lasts until the beginning of their next turn.
- Spells: While the sword is on wielder, they can use an action to cast call lightning, finger of death, or divine word from it (save DC 18) once per day. Each spell recharges at dawn.